Follow by Email

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Stay Focused



That's my handsome husband and being with him is my main focus.

Whenever we are transitioning, or just living, it's important to check-in from time-to-time and ask two questions:

  1. What is important to me? 
  2. Am I living to create the life I really want?
These questions are closely related. To live on purpose, #1 informs #2.

"The unexamined life is not worth living." ~ Socrates

After the first month of neither of us having a job, it became vital to reflect on these two questions every single day. 

What's important to you?
By brainstorming, paying attention, journaling, and plenty of time in the woods, I arrived at a conclusion. 

While I wanted financial freedom, fantastic health, friends, a nice house, a reliable car, to eat at restaurants, and to take vacations, these were not at the very top of my list. They impacted decisions and some of these wants are already shifting and changing--like what I'd call a "nice house"--but these values didn't set our course 100%.

More important than anything else, as my husband and I agreed, was to get through this financial situation together, as a team. The rest was gravy.

Set your course.
A sailor mans the wheel to stay on course regardless of the winds and waves life tosses at him. We too man the wheel with frequent talks about where we are and where we're going, always remembering the prime directive: to remain a strong team.

Without a focus, 
the changing winds will drive you off course.


As we navigate these challenging waters, knowing we have an agreed upon focus--not just a destination, but something we enjoy every day--keeps up moving in a direction that aligns with our desires and values. 

It would do us no good to fight over job ideas, paying bills, or where and if to move. If our prime directive is to remain a strong team, then we need to tackle any and all ideas with that in mind. And what  world of difference that makes!

No comments:

Post a Comment